Sunday, March 18, 2007

Why I don't drink

Logic. That is pretty much the sole reason I do not consume alcohol. I do not understand this obsession with drinking everyone has. Where is the logic? Alcohol is pretty much a poison. There is absolutely no logic behind putting a poison into yourself on purpose just for the brief feeling it gives you especially when you are then complaining/bragging about the after-effects such as vomitting or dehydration.

It also tastes like shit.

Who decided that it was a tastey treat that should be consumed on a regular basis? I'm convinced it is an addictive substance. You ever see a heavy drinker try to stop drinking? They usually fail. I don't understand the reasoning behind becomng a heavy drinker. Personally, I enjoy having a functionary liver.

Someone, explain the reasoning to me. What makes drinking worthwhile? The brief feeling of intoxication? Complaints about having a hangover or the mess made while drunk never registers as "Hey, this might not be a good idea" to anyone?

Seriously, I do not understand it at all. It tastes bad, it smells bad, it ends bad. Why get drunk? I do not enjoy the feeling of intoxication so I just cannot fathom why it's supposed to be so fun that it's all people tend to do for fun. "Hey want to go to a movie? Let's get drunk first." Or get high or something along that lines. I do not understand the concepts of becoming intoxicated, either via alcohol or drugs. What is the point? The only logical answer I can ever draw from that question is that the user's life is so crappy that they need an extra boost of an external source to find pleasure. Which is sad and I think altogether to simple of an answer, until you start thinking it over and realize it's probably true. And then considering the vast number of drinkers and drug users out there what does that say about the human race in general?

This saddens me because I honestly can't find any other reason logically for this question. Why drink? Because life sucks? That's unacceptable. I refuse to believe the human race is so addictive to external sources of pleasure. How would it affect the evolution of a species to seek out drinking and drug use? It may already have. Alcoholism, addiciton, it's all genetically inheritable now. What does that mean? I'm not saying hundreds upon thousands of years of human evolution has been corrupted by the discovery of intoxication, but it's something to consider.

All I want to know is why people find it fun? It fucking tastes like shit. Do I have some sort of screwed up tastebud system that I can't register the fun taste of beer? I just don't like the feeling and am sick of everyone around me getting wasted all the time like it's going out of style. St. Patrick's day really made me think about this when I wandered around town watching people my age, younger people and older people all running around getting drunk. These people were waiting for an excuse to drink while many were also just drinking as they usually do. Seriously, all I want to know is what's the big deal?

I guess I just don't get it.

No comments: