Thursday, March 1, 2007

I'm tired with Colbert

Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, all that liberal media propaganda, it's tiring. I'm not a republican, I'm not a democrat, that's the worst possible way to do democracy by splitting into factions who represent the entirity of that general population. Democracy is for the people, not the factions determining their viewpoints. I believe you should believe in yourself and make your own decisions not let someone else make them for you. Which is somewhat ironic since I'm voicing my opinion right now and it may or may not alter someone else's opinion.

I am sitting here, watching the Daily Show/Colbert Report and I can't help but think of how tired I am of these guys. I find them funny, I like to watch them, but my problem with them isn't their shows I suppose. What it is happens to be the effect they have. I'm young, I know a bunch of college educated hippies(the worst kind of hippie) and let me tell you, most of their opinions reference these shows. Someone starts talking about some subject, let's say Iraq or Bush, and they reference a Daily Show joke or Colbert's appearence at the Bush dinner. Then they start either misquoting or misunderstanding the point to something from those shows, and go off on tangents about the subject, not quite understanding it as well as they think they do because all their information is from the Stewart/Colbert hour.

That's something I've really been noticing lately. The arguments people get into on a political level, neither side understanding what they are defending. The entire media is biased one way or another. Misrepresenting the information given out leads to this kind of argument. That and people's natural inability to see the other side of their own arguments. I'm getting tired of seeing and hearing these arguments and conversations and rantings on the street corners or in bars by drunks or wherever. I'm starting to wonder where this kind of thinking leads. People who get their information from comedy shows and develop their information solely on the comedian's point of views verus people who get their information from biased news channels which have recently proven to be completely worthless. What I mean by that has to do with the bizarre coverage of Anna Nicole Smith's death that was covered forever by CNN and FOX News and all those news stations. Not to mention the sudden shift into paparazzism of those channels with Britney Spears. I understand these were the closest thing to American royalty we'll get, once hot blonde celebrities who have gone crazy, but there's a limit to how much one can really take before it's just sick and voyueristic. Is that what the media is becoming? Voyuers? Peeping into the personal lives of Celebrities would make one think so.

I am unsettled by the evolution of media. Comedians, which I must say I personally find hilarious but then remember what they are and take them for just that, comedians. These comedians are propaganda, even if it's unintentional. The young and impressionable are taken in by their entertaining representation of the news and form all their opinions around these shows and then go out and try to express their second hand opinions to the world. On the other hand, the "older" news programs are all about fear and manipulation through bias. The old and impressionable are then taken in by these representations. What am I saying? News, whether real or from a comedian, is wrong. You want to know something? Find it out yourself, do not rely on the telephone game that is media. Unfortunately, that's not how things work and even I find myself manipulated to my opinions. Is there a cure? Probably, but I don't think the world is ready for it. That requires effort and hard work and no one likes that. Except masochists.

John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Matt Stone and Trey Parker. These guys form most of the opinions of people I hear from the most. Many conversations I hear start with "Hey on the Daily Show/Colber Report" or "The South Park guys did this". Now I respect them all as entertainers but I still don't like how they unintentionally, (or is it intentionally?) alter youth opinions. I feel weird calling it a Hitler Youth, but it's kind of the same principle. The young getting their informed opinion from one source and it then becomes the complete truth. The thing is, the Daily Show guys kinda take themselves seriously in that role, while the South Park guys kinda seem like they're telling you not to listen to them. It's a nice contrast and all on one channel. I don't really know how to explain what I'm really getting at here but as best as I can tell it goes something like this:

Do not listen to anyone on TV. Ever. Except Mr. Rogers, he's cool. And maybe Larry King, he's old, he knows stuff.

I was watching the Colbert Report as I typed this and he had King on. I like Larry King, he's old and looks like an owl. You can probably trust him, usually because he nevers gives an opinion he just takes them. I liked his explaination of the I show and how it shouldn't be about the interviewer but the interviewed. Why? Because that's how every other interview show works. I am tired of interview shows. I am tired of Colbert's republican character, it's so old and boring now and it's too well known to be as effective as when he started, it makes the comedy stale.

To end this post I remind you dear reader, do not listen to anyone on TV. Except Mr. Rogers or if you're Canadian, Mr. Dressup.

No comments: